MARCH 25, 2014
WHO: Members of the National Campaign for Nonviolent Resistance (NCNR) have taken action to call attention to, and bring an end to the crimes of the United States Government since the Iraq war began in March 2003.
WHAT: Members of NCNR first brought a criminal complaint against President Obama, CIA Director John Brennan, and others at the CIA who are involved in the drone program to the US Attorney’s office in Alexandria last May when Neil MacBride held the office of US Attorney. After numerous attempts to follow-up on the complaint, no action was apparently taken. A copy of the criminal complaint was then sent to the new US Attorney Dana Boente last week.
On Tuesday March 25 six members of NCNR followed up at the US Attorney’s office in person to demand action as drone attacks continue to murder innocent people around the world. NCNR maintains that the Obama Administration and the CIA drone program are in violation of U.S. and international law.
When the six activists arrived at the US Attorney’s office at they discovered the doors to the public building were locked. A security officer, John Buffington, came out and told them that they would not be allowed into the building.
|Citizens standing in front of Attorney Boente's doors, which were|
locked against their indictment of U.S. war crimes.
Then a plain clothes security officer, Francisco Gerard from the US Attorney’s office, came out to speak to them. He acknowledged that the doors were locked specifically to keep the activists out. Other members of the public were let into the building while the officer spoke with the 6 activists. The officer said that they received the complaint and US Attorney Boente would take it under advisement. After several minutes of speaking with Mr. Gerard the nonviolent activists peacefully left the area.
WHY: The six activists believe it is their responsibility to report crimes, especially extrajudicial killing by the US drones. There are documented reports from organizations such as Amnesty International and news organizations like the UK based Bureau of Investigative Journalism. They also believe US elected and appointed officials have a duty to investigate these crimes.
Joan Nicholson came from Kennett Square Pennsylvania to join the group, and she said, “As a US citizen I was appalled that we were not given the opportunity to determine the progress of the citizens complaint seeking an indictment against President Obama, CIA Director Brennan, and others responsible for war crimes especially those carried out by the killer drones.”
It is chilling that nonviolent citizen activists would be targeted and locked out of a public building because they want their government held accountable for serious lawbreaking, including war crimes as reported by Amnesty International.
Malachy Kilbride from Arlington, VA explained “We tried to give voice to the victims of US drone strikes and their families by going to government officials responsible for maintaining the rule of law. But what we encountered was a US government legal system that is literally shutting out those who want to report serious crimes and accept their responsibilities under the law.”
Now that crimes have been reported to the US Attorney’s office they are responsible and will someday be held accountable. The National Campaign for Nonviolent Resistance will not give up in their pursuit of this matter.
For more information, contact: Joy First 608-239-4327, Malachy Kilbride 571-501-3729, Max Obuszewski 410-366-1637
THE SPRING DAYS OF DRONE ACTION ARE UPON US! CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT EVENTS OCCURRING NATIONWIDE.
|Spring Days of Drone Action, 2014|